Friday, August 12, 2011

Imagination required

No photos this time, this post requires you to create a mental image.

We're getting out of the house more these days partly to avoid going stir crazy and partly out of necessity. But, as you can imagine, some outings are a bit challenging. Take for example grocery shopping....

The adventure starts with getting everyone ready to leave the house. First, pack the diaper bag with size 2 & 5 diapers, burp cloths for Stella, pink and purple pacifiers, a toy for each car seat, water and snack for Will, cell phone and wallet, grocery list and coupons. Then, feed the girls so they're happy for at least 2 hours, just enough time to get to the store, do a complete shopping, and get home before the next feeding. Next, change everyone's diaper and clothes. Then, get the girls strapped into their car seats inside the house. Will goes into the car first since his car seat is in the way back of the minivan, then the girls' car seats get snapped into place. Away we go the store...

Arriving at Giant, I grab a cart (most recently I used the cart with the special kid car in the front) and start loading the kids. Will in the front car, one baby in a car seat in the cart area, and another baby wrapped to me. I place a hand basket under the cart to place the vegetables in and tow another big basket on wheels behind me. There's groceries everywhere...next to the car seat, under the cart, in the baskets, and sometimes Will even holds some items (especially his treat). It's a long parade and apparently a sight to see based on everyone's stares and comments as I stroll by.

The checkout clerk sometimes looks annoyed at how slow I get the groceries onto the belt from every crevice of the cart. The bagger looks dumbfounded as to where to put all of the bagged groceries. I end up getting a new cart and the bagger helps me out to car. They load the car with groceries, while I load the car with kids. Away we go home, where I manage to get the cold stuff put away before the girls are chirping to be fed.

Sounds exhausting right?!? And, it's only lunchtime by this time of the day.